Hot Dog Ingredients:
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- oil for frying
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
Creamy Slaw Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- Toss the onions with 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce. Allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the coleslaw. whisk together mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour over shredded cabbage and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once onions have marinated, place flour in a resealable plastic bag, add in onions and shake to coat.
- Heat 1/4 inch layer of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, remove onions from flour and shake off any excess. Fry in hot oil until golden brown and crunchy. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt.
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat and cook hot dogs until cooked through.
- To assemble a hot dog: place a hot dog in a bun, spoon slaw over the top, place onions on top and drizzle with BBQ sauce. Serve.