Pesto Mozzarella Grilled Cheese Ingredients:
- 8 slices crusty bread (such as Como)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup freshly shredded parmesan
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 cups packed fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- pinch crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare the pesto first by combining basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan and crushed red pepper in a food processor. Pulse until basil is minced fine. With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil until emulsified. Set aside until ready to use.
- To make a sandwich: Spread softened butter on one side of two slices of bread. Turn slices over and spread a generous amount of pesto on the other side. Place two slices of cheese on one slice of bread and top with the other slice, butter side out. Repeat with remaining ingredients until 4 sandwiches are made.
- Place the shredded parmesan cheese on a plate. Press the the sandwiches, on both sides, into the Parmesan. Place the sandwiches in a pan. Cook over medium heat until the outside is golden and the cheese has melted. About 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cut in half and serve.